As a professional writer with experience in internal communications, I understand the importance of keeping employees informed and engaged. Having worked with various communication tools, I know that choosing the right internal comms app can be a game-changer for businesses. In this article, I will share my expertise on why your business needs an internal comms app and how to choose the right one.
- The Importance of Internal Communications
- Benefits of Using an Internal Comms App
- Key Features to Look for in an Internal Comms App
- Types of Internal Comms Apps
- Security Considerations
- Implementing an Internal Comms App
- Cost Considerations
- Support and Maintenance
The Importance of Internal Communications
Effective internal communications are essential for any business. They ensure that employees are informed about company news and updates, understand their role in the organization, and feel valued and engaged. Good internal communications can also increase productivity, reduce turnover, and improve overall job satisfaction.
However, traditional methods of internal communication, such as email and bulletin boards, are becoming less effective in today’s fast-paced and mobile world. Employees are often inundated with emails and may miss important updates, while bulletin boards can be easily overlooked or ignored.
Benefits of Using an Internal Comms App
Using an internal comms app can bring many benefits to your business, including:
An internal comms app can help to increase employee engagement by providing a platform for two-way communication. Employees can share feedback, ask questions, and provide suggestions, which can help to create a more collaborative and engaged workforce.
An internal comms app can also improve collaboration by providing a central location for team communication and file sharing. This can help to reduce the need for multiple tools and increase productivity.
With an internal comms app, updates can be sent in real-time, ensuring that employees are always informed and up-to-date on company news and changes.
Many internal comms apps are mobile-friendly, allowing employees to stay connected and informed even when they are out of the office.
Key Features to Look for in an Internal Comms App
When choosing an internal comms app, there are several key features to look for:
As mentioned above, a mobile-friendly app is essential for increasing accessibility and employee engagement.
An app that is customizable can help to ensure that it meets the specific needs of your business.
Easy to Use
An app that is easy to use and intuitive can help to increase adoption and engagement among employees.
Security should be a top priority when choosing an internal comms app. Look for an app that has robust security features, such as encryption and two-factor authentication.
Types of Internal Comms Apps
There are several types of internal comms apps, including:
Instant Messaging Apps
Instant messaging apps, such as Slack and Microsoft Teams, can be used for internal communications. They offer real-time messaging, file sharing, and collaboration features.
Intranet platforms, such as SharePoint and Confluence, provide a central location for team communication, document sharing, and project management.
Employee Communication Apps
Employee communication apps, such as Beekeeper and Staffbase, are designed specifically for internal communications. They offer features such as real-time updates, employee recognition, and task management.
Security should be a top priority when choosing an internal comms app. Look for an app that has robust security features, such as:
Encryption ensures that data is protected from unauthorized access.
Two-factor authentication provides an extra layer of security by requiring users to provide two forms of identification before accessing the app.
Access controls allow you to restrict access to certain features or information based on user roles and permissions.
Implementing an Internal Comms App
Implementing an internal comms app can be a complex process. It is important to have a clear plan in place and involve all stakeholders in the process. Consider the following:
Ensure that all employees are trained on how to use the app and understand its features and benefits.
Develop a launch strategy that includes communication and training plans, as well as metrics for measuring success.
Ensure that the app integrates with your existing systems and workflows to maximize its effectiveness.
The cost of an internal comms app can vary widely depending on the features and level of customization required. Consider the following:
Some apps require a per-user license fee, while others are based on a flat rate for the entire organization.
The more customization required, the higher the cost may be.
Support and Maintenance
When choosing an internal comms app, consider the level of support and maintenance required. Look for an app that offers:
Ensure that support is available when you need it, especially if you have employees in different time zones.
Regular updates can help to ensure that the app remains secure and effective over time.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is an internal comms app? An internal comms app is a tool used for internal communications within a business.
- What are the benefits of using an internal comms app? An internal comms app can increase engagement, improve collaboration, provide real-time updates, and increase accessibility.
- What features should I look for in an internal comms app? Look for an app that is mobile-friendly, customizable, easy to use, and secure.
- What types of internal comms apps are available? Instant messaging apps, intranet platforms, and employee communication apps are all types of internal comms apps.
- What security features should I look for in an internal comms app? Look for an app that has encryption, two-factor authentication, and access controls.
- What is the cost of an internal comms app? The cost can vary widely depending on the features and level of customization required.
- How do I implement an internal comms app? Ensure that all employees are trained, develop a launch strategy, and ensure that the app integrates with your existing systems and workflows.
- What level of support and maintenance should I expect? Look for an app that offers 24/7 support and regular updates.
Pros and Cons
- Increased employee engagement
- Improved collaboration
- Real-time updates
- Increased accessibility
- Centralized communication platform
- Can be costly, especially for customized solutions
- Can be complex to implement
- May require additional training for employees
- Involve employees in the selection and implementation process to increase adoption and engagement.
- Develop a clear plan for training and communication to ensure that employees understand the app’s features and benefits.
- Regularly review and update your internal comms app to ensure that it remains effective and secure.
Choosing the right internal comms app can be a game-changer for businesses. It can increase engagement, improve collaboration, and provide real-time updates. When choosing an app, consider its features, security, and cost, and involve